That "day"....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 17:30 “It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed."

I'd like to take this discussion from another forum to explain Luke 17 here, because Futurists tend to get totally absorbed with futurist applications of the "day of the Lord," instead of realizing that Jesus applied it in several ways--not just one way. I would say that Jesus meant to focus the "day of the Lord" more on the 70 AD judgment of Christ when he said this, even though the "day of the Lord" was also understand to mean "the day the Kingdom of God would come."

But Jesus was focusing on the fall of the temple in this passage, the Olivet Discourse, and he was asked to explain how this "day" can be justified in the light of the coming of the "day of the Lord" in which the Kingdom would come? Jesus' response is to indicate that the "day of the Lord" can be applied generally even in his own generation, when people are wicked and think judgment is a long ways off.

Eze 12.26 The word of the Lord came to me: 27 “Son of man, the Israelites are saying, ‘The vision he sees is for many years from now, and he prophesies about the distant future.’
28 “Therefore say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: None of my words will be delayed any longer; whatever I say will be fulfilled, declares the Sovereign Lord.’”

Jesus was using a very general application of the word "day" in this passage, because he was in fact clarifying between different views of the "day" of the Lord. The Pharisees saw that "day" as an historical deliverance, perhaps by Messiah, in their own day. They were wicked and could not expect that this "day" would men a deliverance for them. They were "false Christs."

But I'm sure the Pharisees also believed that when Messiah came he would usher in the Kingdom of God in Israel. And so in that sense, they had "day" correct, that the "day of the Lord" ushers in the Kingdom of God. It just wouldn't happen when they thought it would happen or in the way they thought it would happen.

By contrast, the Disciples properly saw "day" as the time they were spending with Jesus. While he was with them the Kingdom was "near." He was the King, though they were confused about why he did not immediately usher in the Kingdom. And so, Jesus indicated the "days" they had with him would end (at his death and ascension), and they would long for a new day, the Kingdom of God, when he comes to proclaim himself King.

So Jesus described a "day" that would be emblematic of what the Kingdom's coming would mean for false Christs and unbelievers. It would be an historical judgment against the wicked Jews who rejected him. They would not be accepted either in the day Jesus was with them or in the future Kingdom of God. But in the "day" they expected to be saved from the Romans they would actually be destroyed and see Jerusalem, along with the temple, destroyed.

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
In reply: I do not see Luke 17:20-37, or Matthew 24:37-44, as happening on the glorious Day when Jesus will Return.
It relates to the terrible Day when the Lord will change the world and commence all the Prophesied end time things. The sudden and shocking Sixth Seal worldwide disaster.

The Son of Man will be revealed on that Day, but only to His faithful people. As 2 Thessalonians 1:10 plainly tells us.
28 “Therefore say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: None of my words will be delayed any longer; whatever I say will be fulfilled, declares the Sovereign Lord.’”
Any delay of the Prophesies, is in God's timing, not ours. Be sure: Prophesies like Zephaniah 1:14-18, Hebrews 10:27, +, WILL be fulfilled.

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I'd like to take this discussion from another forum to explain Luke 17 here, because Futurists tend to get totally absorbed with futurist applications of the "day of the Lord," instead of realizing that Jesus applied it in several ways--not just one way. I would say that Jesus meant to focus the "day of the Lord" more on the 70 AD judgment of Christ when he said this, even though the "day of the Lord" was also understand to mean "the day the Kingdom of God would come."

But Jesus was focusing on the fall of the temple in this passage, the Olivet Discourse, and he was asked to explain how this "day" can be justified in the light of the coming of the "day of the Lord" in which the Kingdom would come? Jesus' response is to indicate that the "day of the Lord" can be applied generally even in his own generation, when people are wicked and think judgment is a long ways off.

Eze 12.26 The word of the Lord came to me: 27 “Son of man, the Israelites are saying, ‘The vision he sees is for many years from now, and he prophesies about the distant future.’

Jesus was using a very general application of the word "day" in this passage, because he was in fact clarifying between different views of the "day" of the Lord. The Pharisees saw that "day" as an historical deliverance, perhaps by Messiah, in their own day. They were wicked and could not expect that this "day" would men a deliverance for them. They were "false Christs."

But I'm sure the Pharisees also believed that when Messiah came he would usher in the Kingdom of God in Israel. And so in that sense, they had "day" correct, that the "day of the Lord" ushers in the Kingdom of God. It just wouldn't happen when they thought it would happen or in the way they thought it would happen.

By contrast, the Disciples properly saw "day" as the time they were spending with Jesus. While he was with them the Kingdom was "near." He was the King, though they were confused about why he did not immediately usher in the Kingdom. And so, Jesus indicated the "days" they had with him would end (at his death and ascension), and they would long for a new day, the Kingdom of God, when he comes to proclaim himself King.

So Jesus described a "day" that would be emblematic of what the Kingdom's coming would mean for false Christs and unbelievers. It would be an historical judgment against the wicked Jews who rejected him. They would not be accepted either in the day Jesus was with them or in the future Kingdom of God. But in the "day" they expected to be saved from the Romans they would actually be destroyed and see Jerusalem, along with the temple, destroyed.
Again with your opinions based on nothing. " I would say" is your tag line. I could not care less what you would say. I care only what Jesus Himself said in the passage because He made it very clear what He was referring to. You did not even bother to read the entire passage and get the context.

"days of the Son of Man" - Luke 17:22
"the Son of Man be in His day" - Luke 17:24
"days of the Son of Man" - Luke 17:26
"day that the Son of Man is revealed" - Luke 17:30

How you can possible have the opinion that this was fulfilled in 70 AD boggles the mind. Did Jesus come back in 70 AD. Was that the day of the Son of Man? Oh, you probably have a slippery dippery answer to weasel out of the plain reading.

Don't bother answering. You have been proven wrong by the very words of Jesus.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In reply: I do not see Luke 17:20-37, or Matthew 24:37-44, as happening on the glorious Day when Jesus will Return.
It relates to the terrible Day when the Lord will change the world and commence all the Prophesied end time things. The sudden and shocking Sixth Seal worldwide disaster.

The Son of Man will be revealed on that Day, but only to His faithful people. As 2 Thessalonians 1:10 plainly tells us.

Any delay of the Prophesies, is in God's timing, not ours. Be sure: Prophesies like Zephaniah 1:14-18, Hebrews 10:27, +, WILL be fulfilled.
I agree--all of these prophecies will be fulfilled. We just have to try to put them in the right historical contexts. We can certainly temper our worldly pursuits with the knowledge that everything is going to perish. Thanks.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know I really need to read more Josephus, and also the book I have on Nero more.

From the jist I understand that as the day grew nearer, the days got worse and worse for the people in Jerusalem, there food supply had been cut off (they were good with the Romans for a little while but then all of sudden a dramatic turn), they started eating each other because they ran out of food. There was plagues that were poured out upon, and even while going through these times, they still turned away from God and did not turn towards him.

That day, there was faithful there waiting, watching, even through this suffering - that today we also suffer for him, but it's not gonna be like it was then. Nothing compares to this terrible great and dreadful time which the day of the Lord would arrive, for them @Randy Kluth

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again with your opinions based on nothing. " I would say" is your tag line. I could not care less what you would say. I care only what Jesus Himself said in the passage because He made it very clear what He was referring to. You did not even bother to read the entire passage and get the context.

"days of the Son of Man" - Luke 17:22
"the Son of Man be in His day" - Luke 17:24
"days of the Son of Man" - Luke 17:26
"day that the Son of Man is revealed" - Luke 17:30

How you can possible have the opinion that this was fulfilled in 70 AD boggles the mind. Did Jesus come back in 70 AD. Was that the day of the Son of Man? Oh, you probably have a slippery dippery answer to weasel out of the plain reading.

Don't bother answering. You have been proven wrong by the very words of Jesus.
I know you don't realize that discourse can be "friendlier" than you make it, but I'll give you a quick answer. These are all general uses of the word "day" or "days." The focus at the time was on the coming of the Jewish Messiah with his Kingdom to wipe out the Romans. But Jesus' Disciples knew that their "day" with Jesus was tantamount to a day in the Kingdom. For them, the Kingdom had drawn "near."

Still, the focus even for the Disciples was on his Coming, because he said that Jerusalem would be destroyed and Israel scattered. Their "days" with the Lord would be cut short, and they would have to wait for him to return.

But for the wicked, their expectation of the coming Messianic Kingdom was misplaced, and the "day" of Messiah's revelation would become, for them, a day of judgment--the destruction of Jerusalem and the scattering of the Jewish People.

This is the context of what he said. Yes, it's a little difficult in light of the many opinions that exist out there. However, humbly, this is my opinion. It's the best I can do for now, and still be consistent with how I see the total message Jesus brought.

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I know you don't realize that discourse can be "friendlier" than you make it, but I'll give you a quick answer. These are all general uses of the word "day" or "days." The focus at the time was on the coming of the Jewish Messiah with his Kingdom to wipe out the Romans. But Jesus' Disciples knew that their "day" with Jesus was tantamount to a day in the Kingdom. For them, the Kingdom had drawn "near."

Still, the focus even for the Disciples was on his Coming, because he said that Jerusalem would be destroyed and Israel scattered. Their "days" with the Lord would be cut short, and they would have to wait for him to return.

But for the wicked, their expectation of the coming Messianic Kingdom was misplaced, and the "day" of Messiah's revelation would become, for them, a day of judgment--the destruction of Jerusalem and the scattering of the Jewish People.

This is the context of what he said. Yes, it's a little difficult in light of the many opinions that exist out there. However, humbly, this is my opinion. It's the best I can do for now, and still be consistent with how I see the total message Jesus brought.
You did not even read the passage. You again inserted your preconceived notions. It nothing to do with being "unfriendly". Truth's relationship to error is very unfriendly and unforgiving. Truth is right and it points out your error in a very harsh way. Truth and error do not mix. Neither should we allow it to. If you were actually a good Berean and checked your opinion with Scripture, you wouldn't make such obvious errors.

Last edited:

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But Jesus was focusing on the fall of the temple in this passage, the Olivet Discourse

Anyone can go and read the OD and see that Jesus doesn't focus on the fall of the temple in fact he doesn't mention the temple a single time.

The OD is only about events that happen before the GT, during the GT, and after which is the second coming which are the last events of this age before the Mill age.