attacking another denomination are included in this rule.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeshua is Hebrew for, Joshua, and is another name used for Jesus,which is another form oof Joshua. Jesus is also transliteration of the Greek, Iésous.
Strong's Greek: 2424. Ἰησοῦς (Iésous) -- Jesus or Joshua, the name of the Messiah, also three other Isr.

No J's in the scriptures .... all the J's in your Bible are mistranslations. All were Hebrew Y's....look it up in your Strongs. Yob, Yoshua, Yahob, Yoesph, Yohn, Yames, Yeshua, and Yahweh. The letter J and it sound first appeared in languages around 1400 years after Christ and did not become popular until Shakespeare....1500's. Voilà! Scriptures set to poetry...The King James Version the king of biblical errors.

Last edited:

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
not this Christian parody site
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Theres no J in Greek or Latin either.

No J's in the scriptures .... all the J's in your Bible are mistranslations. All were Hebrew Y's....look it up in your Strongs. Yob, Yoshua, Yahob, Yoesph, Yohn, Yames, Yeshua, and Yahweh. The letter J and it sound first appeared in languages around 1400 years after Christ and did not become popular until Shakespeare....1500's.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Like I said, as far as anyone knows the letter J or it sound did not appear in any language until the 1400's. And nobody knows were the word Jesus came from.....
I wouldn't say no onekknows.

What Was Jesus’ Real Name? ‘Yeshua’ And The Story Behind It
By Gina Dimuro | Checked By John Kuroski
Published October 17, 2021
Updated May 25, 2022
Jesus' real name, Yeshua, evolved over millennia in many cases of transliteration that took it from Yehōshu'a to Iēsous to Jesus.

Regardless of religious belief, the name “Jesus” is nearly universally recognizable. However, it may come as a surprise that the name millions of Christians all over the world are implored not to take in vain was not actually “Jesus” at all.

Controversial though the claim may sound, at heart it is really more of a translation issue.

What Was Jesus’ Real Name?
Yeshua-hebrew-writing.jpg

Wikimedia CommonsThe Greek transliteration of Jesus’ real name, “Iēsous”, and the late Biblical Hebrew version “Yeshua.”

Of course, neither English nor Spanish were around in their modern form when the real Jesus was actually alive, or for that matter, when the New Testament was written.

Jesus and his followers were all Jewish and so they had Hebrew names — although they would likely have spoken Aramaic. The “J” sound used to pronounce Jesus’ name in English does not exist in Hebrew or Aramaic, which is strong evidence that Jesus was called something different by his contemporaries.

Most scholars, therefore, believe that the Christian Messiah’s name was actually “Yeshua,” a fairly common Jewish name around the time Jesus was alive. Archaeologists have actually found the name carved into 71 burial caves in Israel, dating from the time the historical Jesus would have been alive. This leads to the question of why, if there were evidently so many men named “Yeshua” running around at the time, the name “Jesus” was used for the Messiah.

How “Yeshua” Became Lost In Translation
king-james-bible.jpg

Wikimedia CommonsThe King James bible used the “I” spelling in place of the “J” spelling.

Since not every language shares the same sounds, people have historically adopted their names so as to be able to pronounce them in various languages. Even in modern languages, there are differences in the pronunciation of Jesus. In English, the name is pronounced with a hard “J,” while in Spanish, even though the spelling is the same, the name is pronounced with what would be an “H” in English.

It is precisely this type of transliteration that has evolved “Yeshua” into the modern “Jesus.” The New Testament was originally written in Greek, which not only uses an entirely different alphabet than Hebrew but also lacks the “sh” sound found in “Yeshua.”

The New Testament authors decided to use the Greek “s” sound in place of the “sh” in Yeshua and then added a final “s” to the end of the name to make it masculine in the language. When, in turn, the Bible was translated into Latin from the original Greek, the translators rendered the name as “Iesus.”

Jesus-INRI.jpg

Wikimedia CommonsGerman crucifix depicting the “King of the Jews” sign in Hebrew, Greek, and Latin

In John 19:20, the disciple writes that the Romans nailed to Jesus’ cross a sign stating “The King of the Jews” and that “it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin.” This inscription has been a standard part of depictions of the crucifixion in Western Christianity for centuries as “INRI,” an abbreviation for the Latin Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum, or “Jesus the Nazarene King of the Jews.”

Since Latin was the preferred language of the Catholic Church, the Latin version of “Yeshua” was the name for Christ throughout Europe. Even the 1611 publication of the King James Bible used the “Iesus” spelling.

How “Yeshua” Eventually Became “Jesus”
It’s hard to pinpoint exactly where the “Jesus” spelling came from, although some historians speculate that version of the name originated in Switzerland.

In Swiss German, the “J” is pronounced more like an English “Y”, or the Latin “Ie” as in “Iesus”. When the Catholic Queen, “Bloody” Mary I took the Engish throne in 1553, droves of English Protestant scholars fled, and many ultimately found refuge in Geneva. It was there that a team of some of the brightest English minds of the day produced the Geneva Bible that used the “Jesus” Swiss spelling.

Geneva-bible.jpg

Wikimedia CommonsThe Geneva Bible helped to bring about the popularization of the “Jesus” spelling.

The Geneva Bible was an enormously popular translation and was the version of the Bible quoted by Shakespeare and Milton. Eventually, it was brought over to the New World on the Mayflower. By 1769, most English translations of the Bible were using the “Jesus” spelling popularized by the Geneva Bible.

Thus, the name used by English speakers today is an English adaptation of a German transliteration of a Latin transliteration of a Greek transliteration of an originally Hebrew name.

Attachments

• upload_2022-9-2_3-5-42.gif
    upload_2022-9-2_3-5-42.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 0

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wouldn't say no onekknows.

What Was Jesus’ Real Name? ‘Yeshua’ And The Story Behind It
By Gina Dimuro | Checked By John Kuroski
Published October 17, 2021
Updated May 25, 2022
Jesus' real name, Yeshua, evolved over millennia in many cases of transliteration that took it from Yehōshu'a to Iēsous to Jesus.

Regardless of religious belief, the name “Jesus” is nearly universally recognizable. However, it may come as a surprise that the name millions of Christians all over the world are implored not to take in vain was not actually “Jesus” at all.

Controversial though the claim may sound, at heart it is really more of a translation issue.

What Was Jesus’ Real Name?
Yeshua-hebrew-writing.jpg

Wikimedia CommonsThe Greek transliteration of Jesus’ real name, “Iēsous”, and the late Biblical Hebrew version “Yeshua.”

Of course, neither English nor Spanish were around in their modern form when the real Jesus was actually alive, or for that matter, when the New Testament was written.

Jesus and his followers were all Jewish and so they had Hebrew names — although they would likely have spoken Aramaic. The “J” sound used to pronounce Jesus’ name in English does not exist in Hebrew or Aramaic, which is strong evidence that Jesus was called something different by his contemporaries.

Most scholars, therefore, believe that the Christian Messiah’s name was actually “Yeshua,” a fairly common Jewish name around the time Jesus was alive. Archaeologists have actually found the name carved into 71 burial caves in Israel, dating from the time the historical Jesus would have been alive. This leads to the question of why, if there were evidently so many men named “Yeshua” running around at the time, the name “Jesus” was used for the Messiah.

How “Yeshua” Became Lost In Translation
king-james-bible.jpg

Wikimedia CommonsThe King James bible used the “I” spelling in place of the “J” spelling.

Since not every language shares the same sounds, people have historically adopted their names so as to be able to pronounce them in various languages. Even in modern languages, there are differences in the pronunciation of Jesus. In English, the name is pronounced with a hard “J,” while in Spanish, even though the spelling is the same, the name is pronounced with what would be an “H” in English.

It is precisely this type of transliteration that has evolved “Yeshua” into the modern “Jesus.” The New Testament was originally written in Greek, which not only uses an entirely different alphabet than Hebrew but also lacks the “sh” sound found in “Yeshua.”

The New Testament authors decided to use the Greek “s” sound in place of the “sh” in Yeshua and then added a final “s” to the end of the name to make it masculine in the language. When, in turn, the Bible was translated into Latin from the original Greek, the translators rendered the name as “Iesus.”

Jesus-INRI.jpg

Wikimedia CommonsGerman crucifix depicting the “King of the Jews” sign in Hebrew, Greek, and Latin

In John 19:20, the disciple writes that the Romans nailed to Jesus’ cross a sign stating “The King of the Jews” and that “it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin.” This inscription has been a standard part of depictions of the crucifixion in Western Christianity for centuries as “INRI,” an abbreviation for the Latin Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum, or “Jesus the Nazarene King of the Jews.”

Since Latin was the preferred language of the Catholic Church, the Latin version of “Yeshua” was the name for Christ throughout Europe. Even the 1611 publication of the King James Bible used the “Iesus” spelling.

How “Yeshua” Eventually Became “Jesus”
It’s hard to pinpoint exactly where the “Jesus” spelling came from, although some historians speculate that version of the name originated in Switzerland.

In Swiss German, the “J” is pronounced more like an English “Y”, or the Latin “Ie” as in “Iesus”. When the Catholic Queen, “Bloody” Mary I took the Engish throne in 1553, droves of English Protestant scholars fled, and many ultimately found refuge in Geneva. It was there that a team of some of the brightest English minds of the day produced the Geneva Bible that used the “Jesus” Swiss spelling.

Geneva-bible.jpg

Wikimedia CommonsThe Geneva Bible helped to bring about the popularization of the “Jesus” spelling.

The Geneva Bible was an enormously popular translation and was the version of the Bible quoted by Shakespeare and Milton. Eventually, it was brought over to the New World on the Mayflower. By 1769, most English translations of the Bible were using the “Jesus” spelling popularized by the Geneva Bible.

Thus, the name used by English speakers today is an English adaptation of a German transliteration of a Latin transliteration of a Greek transliteration of an originally Hebrew name.

I know of this explanation and several others and they are wrong in so many ways. Do you think you can figure it out on your own?
Not questioning your intelligence.....giving you a challenge. You would learn so many things if you tried yourself.....

Oh....the word Jesus did not appear in the Geneva Bible. Find the reason that the Apostles used the Greek word Ἰησοῦς....Iésous as a name for Yeshua. Iésous was used in the Tyndale and Geneva Bibles, remember the Letter J had not been out that long. LOL To pick up a new letter and say it was part of an ancient texts and part of the names of God the Father and God the Son....Jehovah and Jesus...is a.....stupid? Or unknowledgeable of linguistics or history.

The Letter J or its sound does not appear in the Bible....the name of any person, place, or thing cannot start with a J. The next time your in Jerusalem, as them to pronounce the name of their city in Hebrew.

When the Kings James Bible was first printed it used the word Iésous for Yeshua's name and few decades later changed it to Jesus.

Last edited:

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I know of this explanation and several others and they are wrong in so many ways. Do you think you can figure it out on your own?
Not questioning your intelligence.....giving you a challenge. You would learn so many things if you tried yourself.....

Oh....the word Jesus did not appear in the Geneva Bible. Find the reason that the Apostles used the Greek word Ἰησοῦς....Iésous as a name for Yeshua. Iésous was used in the Tyndale and Geneva Bibles, remember the Letter J had not been out that long. LOL To pick up a new letter and say it was part of an ancient texts and part of the names of God the Father and God the Son....Jehovah and Jesus...is a.....stupid? Or unknowledgeable of linguistics or history.

When the Kings James Bible was first printed it used the word Iésous for Yeshua's name and few decades later changed it to Jesus.
If , as you said, no one knows the origin of the name Jesus, what would I have to figure out?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus the ONLY Savior has many Names in many languages. He is still our only Savior. God knows our hearts. That's what matters!

Reactions: Grailhunter

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If , as you said, no one knows the origin of the name Jesus, what would I have to figure out?

First off I updated my last post.

I am not asking you to find out where the word Jesus came from. No one knows and if you did try you would come up with a bunch of different explanations. I said....Find the reason that the Apostles used the Greek word Ἰησοῦς....Iésous as a name for Yeshua.

Reactions: Blue Dragonfly's

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You got a lot stuff going on there.

I understand light but if you look at the scripture on that site I sent you it is about a theological metaphor.

As far as Yeshua and Yahweh....take your study a little deeper and a little broader....have fun.
No metaphor.

You are a closet preterist?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No metaphor.

You are a closet preterist?

No your digging yourself a hole. Christ is not a flashlight.
But in the time period Jewish, Christian, and Pagan dieties were known to appear as a column of light....that is nothing new.
But most the time when Christ is talking about Himself or us being the light of the world, it is a religious metaphor.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is easier to say Jesus than make up a non-scriptural name.

How would you like it if I renamed you?

Jesus is not into being renamed by modernists.

LOL Yeshua was Christ's given name. No one knows where the word Jesus came from. As the scholars say, if anybody used the word Jesus back in that time period....it was because they sneezed.

Christ's name was a popular name in the Old Testament and New Testament. In your Bible it will be spelt with a J ...Joshua....actually Yeshua. Historically, You will find no one in the 4th century named Jesus....You find no one in the 12th century named Jesus....It was not possible to find someone named Jesus until after the 15th century because it did not exist before that.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No your digging yourself a hole. Christ is not a flashlight.
But in the time period Jewish, Christian, and Pagan dieties were known to appear as a column of light....that is nothing new.
But most the time when Christ is talking about Himself or us being the light of the world, it is a religious metaphor.
Was this a metaphor?

.....suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus....

And he was three days without sight, ...

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL Yeshua was Christ's given name. No one knows where the word Jesus came from. As the scholars say, if anybody used the word Jesus back in that time period....it was because they sneezed.

Christ's name was a popular name in the Old Testament and New Testament. In your Bible it will be spelt with a J ...Joshua....actually Yeshua. Historically, You will find no one in the 4th century named Jesus....You find no one in the 12th century named Jesus....It was not possible to find someone named Jesus until after the 15th century because it did not exist before that.
There is no "Yeshua" in my Bible from cover to cover.

Stop pulling my leg.;)

Is there some kind of very special Bible made with Yeshua in it for very special people?

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was this a metaphor?

.....suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus....

And he was three days without sight, ...

Let me repeat this and you read it slowly.
As I said, But in the time period Jewish, Christian, and Pagan deities were known to appear as a column of light....that is nothing new. From post 612 And there can also be a light from heaven....spotlight? The scriptures say, shined about him, not blinded him, and although Yeshua could appear as light, there is nothing in that event that says Yeshua was the light....probably caused the light to shine around him, is more likely and probably caused him to lose his sight.

You read so much into things....You have "without sight" underlined....I guess you are assuming that Paul was blinded by the light? The scriptures do not say that. When he regained his sight the scriptures say....it was like scales fell from his eyes.

But still and again when Yeshua actually talked about Himself or US being the light, it was a religious metaphor. As in a guide or beacon of truth.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me repeat this and you read it slowly.
As I said, But in the time period Jewish, Christian, and Pagan deities were known to appear as a column of light....that is nothing new. From post 612 And there can also be a light from heaven....spotlight? The scriptures say, shined about him, not blinded him, and although Yeshua could appear as light, there is nothing in that event that says Yeshua was the light....probably caused the light to shine around him, is more likely.

You read so much into things....You have "without sight" underlined....I guess you are assuming that Paul was blinded by the light? The scriptures do not say that. When he regained his sight the scriptures say....it was like scales fell from his eyes.

But still and again when Yeshua actually talked about Himself or US being the light, it was a religious metaphor. As in a guide or beacon of truth.
What else does this mean to you preterists?...

3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

8 And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.

9 And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.

...is it a metaphor for "walking in the light"?

This never actually happened?

Was it a parable?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no "Yeshua" in my Bible from cover to cover.

Stop pulling my leg.;)

Is there some kind of very special Bible made with Yeshua in it for very special people?

Well that is fact....you are not going to find Yahweh in your Bible either. And there is a reason for that to.

OK, how about this, Christ was actually a time traveling UFO pilot and He loaded up His saucer with bags of "J'" in the 1500's and went back to the biblical era to deliver them so the writers of the Bible could use them.

As the English say, You are boring me now!