Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think the pain and misery they suffered was made worse by the feeling of total helplessness. When they cut themselves, they can feel that the pain and misery is under their control. Doesn't make a lot of sense to you or me but it apparently does to them.
@Lady Crosstalk : PS: So too among young Christian men and women who strongly desire to receive proven effective, conversation-starting faith/ Bible verses tattoos (not necessarily big, but effective as a conversation starters):

Can you, as an MS in counselling that likewise young Christians can feel that, in a big hostile world out there, they are in some sort of control of the proven effective witness method? like, their personal victory; their personal triumph, against all odds...?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think you must be a tattoo artist!! ;)
No; but from the OP quote, it's so clear that so many young Christians do want ink (a lot of it proven effective in conversation-starting witness) that maybe it's a profession that more Christians ought to train in and participate in.
(If this makes any sense?)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Naomi25 Thanks for the 'like' just now; I guess, then, that, despite your reservations in some ways, you do at some level perceive how young Christian men and women might - in today's set of outlooks and opportunities - regard the idea of a Christian tattoo artist as a helpful and positive role?

(Even if you don't actually internalize that thinking yourself.)

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Naomi25 Thanks for the 'like' just now; I guess, then, that, despite your reservations in some ways, you do at some level perceive how young Christian men and women might - in today's set of outlooks and opportunities - regard the idea of a Christian tattoo artist as a helpful and positive role?

(Even if you don't actually internalize that thinking yourself.)

I suppose, sure...a lot of younger people do think of getting a tattoo, and as Christians, many of them would naturally think about one with a Christian message. I would guess that putting something permanent on your skin would mean you'd want something that had great meaning to you....your faith would be something you'd be proud to wear, I'd imagine, and something that would perhaps remind you as you saw it daily. And, sure, if it were me getting it done, of course I'd prefer a Christian artist.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I suppose, sure...a lot of younger people do think of getting a tattoo, and as Christians, many of them would naturally think about one with a Christian message. I would guess that putting something permanent on your skin would mean you'd want something that had great meaning to you....your faith would be something you'd be proud to wear, I'd imagine, and something that would perhaps remind you as you saw it daily. And, sure, if it were me getting it done, of course I'd prefer a Christian artist.
I have actually talked to more than one young person who has gone to the considerable - and uncomfortable - trouble of getting the whole wording of John 3.16 injected into their skin (arm; wrist area). My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole wording of the text on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also. I was just glad to see someone prepared to identify with this witness. And I can see that such a young lady - maybe with the notion sometimes of being largely alone in a hostile, big wide world of unbelief - might in some circumstances regard a Christian tattoo artist as being a friend and confidant who shares with her in a very personal inking experience, which she might see as her personal testimony triumph against all odds.

It's the sort of thinking which would perhaps particularly characterize the younger age bracket of Christian men and women who for their own strong reasons desire service and help with inking. Hence I guess the relevance of an age-related poll such as this one (if this makes sense?).

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have actually talked to more than one young person who has gone to the considerable - and uncomfortable - trouble of getting the whole wording of John 3.16 injected into their skin (arm; wrist area). My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole wording of the text on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also. I was just glad to see someone prepared to identify with this witness. And I can see that such a young lady - maybe with the notion sometimes of being largely alone in a hostile, big wide world of unbelief - might in some circumstances regard a Christian tattoo artist as being a friend and confidant who shares with her in a very personal inking experience, which she might see as her personal testimony triumph against all odds.

It's the sort of thinking which would perhaps particularly characterize the younger age bracket of Christian men and women who for their own strong reasons desire service and help with inking. Hence I guess the relevance of an age-related poll such as this one (if this makes sense?).
Quite possibly. But, as I've said before, it's so far from my wheelhouse, it's mostly guessing and speculation on my part!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Quite possibly. But, as I've said before, it's so far from my wheelhouse, it's mostly guessing and speculation on my part!

FYI: Interesting quote:
anonymous said:
I have no tattoos, and really do not like them…but so what?!
My daughter got a rather large tattoo across her forearm that says "Tetelestai". I may have spelled that wrong but it is the last words Jesus said…"It is finished." People are always asking her what that means. She has a chance to tell them about Jesus. I can't very well be against that!
Source: relevantchildrensministry.com

Clearly it's what a lot of Christian young ppl do, anyway, and it produces a lot of witness opportunities.

Reactions: Naomi25

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Though "pikachu" is part of my personality. :) but maybe something a bit more mature adult to express that sweet childlike spirit God gave me. Not seemingly childish to some. :)
Seems like the design really appeals to you and so it certainly makes you open to being inked more, still?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
FYI:

Nate said:
Many of my friends' ink tells their stories of redemption. My own ink has the phrase "That I may know him. . ." and it's displayed on my forearm, so during warmer weather (and anytime I roll my sleeves up), it's visible. Many of my non-believing friends have asked me, "Who's the 'him' on your arm?" and I mean, c'mon! Is there an easier way to share the story of Jesus than that?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
FYI:

Pamela Weston said:
I am a c[hildren's] p[astor] with a biblical tatoo. Obviously I have no issue with workers having them, but I haven't had problems

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes farouk, just like that only a lot, lot smaller.
I know you have no active plans, but this cross dove combination fits a wrist, FYI:

Dove-and-Cross-Tattoo-Design.png
designtrends dot com

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
th

This would be more my style IF I went for one, which I won't.