Commentary on Daniel 7, Matthew 24, And The Book of Revelation, (Just a few pages)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Publication | CollectionCommentary on Revelations on Revelation Volumes 1-22 | cult - To view this you would have to make an account - that is up to you to do, having paid for this already, they would allow me to share just a few pages from the book.

DANIEL 7, MATTHEW 24, AND THE BOOK OF REVELATION

Revelation 17:1 And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters: 2 With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication. 3 So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet colored beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. 4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet color, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: 5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. 6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admira- tion. 7 And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns. 8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into

perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is. 9 And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth. 10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space. 11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition. 12 And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast. 13 These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast. 14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful. 15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues. 16 And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire. 17 For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled. 18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

Okay, the key to the structure of the book of Revelation can be seen in the seventh chapter of Daniel and Matthew 24. There we see conceptual, thematic, linguistic, and theological parallels. Let’s discuss them briefly, beginning with the structure of Daniel Chapter Seven. The seventh chapter of Daniel introduces the second major section of the book of Daniel. The first six chapters are primarily historical and chronological in nature.
The remaining six chapters are prophetic in nature. Therefore, Chapter Seven is a pivotal chapter since it is the first prophetic chapter. It serves to introduce the prophetic content of Chapters 8-

12. Chapter 7 begins with a vision concerning four beasts. Daniel 7:1 reports
In the first year of Belshazzar king of Babylon Daniel saw a dream and visions in his mind as he lay on his bed; then he wrote the dream down and related the following summary of it.
The NASB’s translation includes the statement, "he wrote the dream down and related the following summary of it." Since Daniel gives us a summary, this leaves room for more details to be added later, which is done in both Matthew 24 and Revelation 4-21. Then Chapter 7:2-14 continues, where Daniel says,
“I was looking in my vision by night, and behold, the four winds of heaven were stirring up the great sea. And four great beasts were coming up from the sea, different from one another. The first was like a lion and had the wings of an eagle. I kept looking until its wings were plucked, and it was lifted up from the ground and made to stand on two feet like a man; a human mind also was given to it. And behold, another beast, a second one, resembling a bear. And it was raised up on one side, and three ribs were in its mouth between its teeth; and thus they said to it, ‘Arise, devour much meat!’ After this I kept looking, and behold, another one, like a leopard, which had on its back four wings of a bird; the beast also had four heads, and dominion was given to it. After this I kept looking in the night visions, and behold, a fourth beast, dreadful and terrifying and extremely strong; and it had large iron teeth. It devoured and crushed, and trampled down the remainder with its feet; and it was different from all the beasts that were before it, and it had ten horns. While I was contemplating the horns, behold, another horn, a little one, came up among them, and three of the first horns were pulled out by the roots before it; and behold, this horn possessed eyes like the eyes of a man, and a mouth uttering great boasts. I kept looking until thrones were set up, and the Ancient of Days took His seat; His vesture was like white snow, and the hair of His head like pure wool. His throne was ablaze with flames, its wheels were a burning fire. A river of fire was

flowing and coming out from before Him; thousands upon thousands were attending Him, and myriads upon myriads were standing before Him; the court sat, and the books were opened. Then I kept looking because of the sound of the boastful words which the horn was speaking; I kept looking until the beast was slain, and its body was destroyed and given to the burning fire. As for the rest of the beasts, their dominion was taken away, but an extension of life was granted to them for an appointed period of time. I kept looking in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of heaven One like a Son of Man was coming, and He came up to the Ancient of Days and was presented before Him. And to Him was given dominion, glory and a kingdom, that all the peoples, nations, and men of every language might serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion which will not pass away; and His kingdom is one which will not be destroyed.”

This rather long quote outlines the end-time sequence that becomes the framework for both Matthew 24 and Revelation chapters 4-21. By way of summary, Daniel indicates four beasts that will arise out of the sea. The fourth beast will become ten horns. When the ten horns rule, another horn will arise and destroy three of the ten original horns. After a while, thrones will be set up. The Ancient of Days will take his seat. The court will be seated. The books will be opened. The boastful beast will be destroyed, and the authority of his associates will be suspended. Then one, like a Son of Man, will receive dominion, glory, and a kingdom.
Remember not to miss the important fact that Daniel first gives a general prophetic overview of the end time's events. This overview is then followed by a specific look at the fourth beast and his unparalleled persecution of the saints, which will terminate with his destruction. Notice what Daniel 7:15-28 says,

“As for me, Daniel, my spirit was distressed within me, and the visions in my mind kept alarming me. I approached one of those who were

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

standing by and began asking him the exact meaning of all this. So he told me and made known to me the interpretation of these things: ‘These great beasts, which are four in number, are four kings who will arise from the earth. But the saints of the Highest One will receive the kingdom and possess the kingdom forever, for all ages to come.’ Then I desired to know the exact meaning of the fourth beast, which was different from all the others, exceedingly dreadful, with its teeth of iron and its claws of bronze, and which devoured, crushed, and trampled down the remainder with its feet, and the meaning of the ten horns that were on its head, and the other horn which came up, and before which three of them fell, namely, that horn which had eyes and a mouth uttering great boasts, and which was larger in appearance than its associates. I kept looking, and that horn was waging war with the saints and overpowering them until the Ancient of Days came, and judgment was passed in favor of the saints of the Highest One, and the time arrived when the saints took possession of the kingdom. Thus he said: ‘The fourth beast will be a fourth kingdom on the earth, which will be different from all the other kingdoms, and it will devour the whole earth and tread it down and crush it. As for the ten horns, out of this kingdom ten kings will arise; and another will arise after them, and he will be different from the previous ones and will subdue three kings. And he will speak out against the Most High and wear down the saints of the Highest One, and he will intend to make alterations in times and in law; and they will be given into his hand for a time, times, and half a time. But the court will sit for judgment, and his dominion will be taken away, annihilated and destroyed forever. Then the sovereignty, the dominion, and the greatness of all the kingdoms under the whole heaven will be given to the people of the saints of the Highest One; His kingdom will be an everlasting kingdom, and all the dominions will serve and obey Him. At this point the revelation ended. As for me, Daniel, my thoughts were greatly alarming me and my face grew pale, but I kept the matter to myself.

The rest of Daniel 7 is concerned with an explanation of the fourth beast, his persecution of the saints, and the eventual kingdom the saints will receive after the beast is destroyed. Adam Maarschalk contends that a discernable pattern can be argued from the seventh chapter of Daniel. First, we get a general over- view of the end times. Then a detailed look at the unparalleled persecution of the saints follows. Here the destruction of the beast is promised. The chapter ends with the promise that the saints will receive a Kingdom ruled by the Highest One. Got all of that?

Now, this exact same pattern is developed in Matthew 24:4-31 – which we have covered at length in the first book. A general over- view is given first. Matthew 24:4-14 says,
“And Jesus answered and said to them, see to it that no one misleads you. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many. And you will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars; see that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes. But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs. Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations on account of My name. And at that time many will fall away and will deliver up one another and hate one another. And many false prophets will arise, and will mislead many. And because lawless- ness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold. But the one who endures to the end, he shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world for a witness to all the nations, and then the end shall come.

We can see that Matthew 24:4-14 is a general overview of the end times from the following observations:

First, the disciples’ initial questions set the agenda. Matthew 24:3 states that the disciples asked, "when will these things be, and what

will be the sign of Your coming and of the end of the age?" It’s important that we recognize that two questions are asked, and the second question has two parts. The first question concerns the destruc- tion of Jerusalem. The second two-part question concerns the Lord’s return and the end of the age. Equally important is the recognition that the Lord answers the questions in reverse order. In other words, the Lord answers the question, "what will be the sign of the end of the age," first. The appearance of the term “end” (in Matthew 24:6, 13, and 14) proves this point conclu- sively.

The Lord’s use of the birth sequence underscores his emphasis in Matthew 24:4-14 on the end of the age. Matthew 24:4- 8 emphasizes the beginning birth pangs. This supports our conclusion that the Lord is not giving an overview of the entire time from his departure to His Second Coming, but rather the final years that immediately precede his return. Note that the beginning “birth pangs" are associated with the birth of the baby and not the nine months of pregnancy.

Matthew 24:9-14 focuses on the hard labor that follows the begin- ning birth pangs. The Greek term thlipsis (tribulation) is used to describe the suffering of a woman about to give birth (John 16:21). As with a baby, the "one who endures to the end” (of the age), it is he who shall be saved (delivered)." The final factor that supports the conclusion that Matthew 24:4-14 covers the entire end-time sequences concerns the phrase, "this gospel of the kingdom." Listen carefully

The phrase “the gospel of the kingdom” has been incorrectly interpreted to refer to the gospel of Christ. (Meaning, “the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ” outlined by the apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 15:1-11.) But remember, the Lord did not begin proclaiming the good news of His death, burial, and resurrection until two-plus years of ministry (Matthew 16:21-23) had passed. In contrast, Matthew reports that the Lord began preaching the
"gospel of the kingdom of God" in the very early days of His earthly ministry (Matthew 4:23).

This is super important.

The gospel of the kingdom concerns God’s physical reign on earth and His removal of the wicked, which was initiated by the Lord’s ministry on earth. (Mark 1:15, Luke 8:21, Luke 11:20). According to Revelation 14:6-7, the worldwide proclamation of this message signals the end of the age. The general overview of the end times (Matthew 24:4-14) is followed by a focus on the persecution of the saints in Matthew 24:15-24, which says,

“Therefore, when you see the abomination of desolation which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the moun- tains; let him who is on the housetop not go down to get the things out that are in his house; and let him who is in the field not turn back to get his cloak. But woe to those who are with child and to those who nurse babes in those days! But pray that your flight may not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath; for then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever shall. And unless those days had been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days shall be cut short. Then if anyone says to you, ‘Behold, here is the Christ,’ or ‘There He is,’ do not believe him. For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect.

Matthew 24:15-24 covers the same period as Matthew 24:9-14, which is a very important point to remember because this same pattern occurs in the seventh chapter of Daniel! First, there is a general overview, and then comes the specific focus on the perse- cution. What is called “tribulation” in Matthew 24:9 is described as a great tribulation in Matthew 24:21. However, Matthew 24:15-24 focuses more on the unparalleled persecution the saints will face during this time.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last bit

The third aspect of the end-time sequence concerns the destruc- tion of the beast. The Lord Jesus indicates that the days of tribula- tion will be cut short (Matthew 24:22). He does not elaborate on this point, but a shortened tribulation means the end of the beast’s opportunity to persecute. The final portion of Matthew 24:4-31 (Verses 25-31) deals with the return of Christ, which answers the question, "what will be the sign of your coming?" asked by the disci- ples. Notice He says,

Behold, I have told you in advance. If therefore they say to you, ‘Behold, He is in the wilderness,’ do not go forth, or, ‘Behold, He is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe them. For just as the lightning comes from the east, and flashes even to the west, so shall the coming of the Son of Man be. Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather. But immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken, and then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory. And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

As with Daniel 7, these final verses promise the saints' deliverance. Specifically, the Lord returned and gathered His saints together to set up God’s Kingdom on earth. The dependency of the Lord on Daniel’s material is evident (again, see Matthew 24:15). Finally, let’s now look at the Structure of the book of Revelation.

The prophetic outline of the end times that flows through Daniel 7 and is utilized by the Lord in the Olivet Discourse of Matthew 24:4-31 also occurs in the book of Revelation. Scholars are gener- ally agreed that Revelation 1:19 offers a temporal outline of the book of Revelation itself. John indicates that he received instruc- tions from the Lord to "Write the things which you have seen, and the

things which are, and the things which shall take place after these things." This framework offers the following structural depiction of the book
The first chapter of Revelation is "the things you have seen," Revela- tion chapters two and three cover "the things which are;" and Reve- lation chapters four through twenty-one are "the things which shall take place after these things" with Chapters 4-11 giving the general overview of the end times, Revelation 12-13 gives the specific focus on the persecution of the saints and Chapters 14-21 detailing the destruction of the beast, the coming of Christ and the kingdom that follows. Praise the Lord God Almighty!
As with Matthew 24:4-31, the book of Revelation fills in many details left out of Daniel’s seventh chapter summary, but the basic structure is the same. So let’s now get into the specific of chapter seventeen.